In preparation for my trip to Santa Fe. Leave no room for expectations.
- the Eye with all of it’s lenses (gender, creed, race, place, age, experience) & imperfections (mortality, morality, blind spots, bias, heartache, innocence or a lack thereof)
- the simplest, most portable tools of your art. Anything you don’t mind being dirtied, broken, stolen, scuffed up, dropped in a pot of coyote stew, burnt by the sun or an accidental fire, torn at the seams, used as a pillow. Don’t be afraid to improvise if your materials are inadequate.
- a phrasebook in whatever language you are most proficient. An item meant to translate the world to yourself. Entries can be ways to render things: lake – As placid as, Covered with scum that buoys trash, Divorced from the rivers/from the sea, HOMES, Unbroken mirror of the land, etc. Entries can be past encounters of a phrase that allow you to deepen a new encounter: Rings in the red bricks in front of Thomas Wolfe’s home connect to the smooth red brick in the Historic District back home, connect to the two-part lids of empty Mason jars on a shelf in a craft store, connect to a play-bar hung with round mirror flowers stretched over a baby’s grave.
- Pins, labels & frames. All meant to capture & present the best specimens of your trip.
- Emergency numbers for the shrink, the guru, the father confessor & the muse. In every case, you will probably get their answering service.
- A fetish, an ikon, a charm, a rosary, worry beads, tarot cards. Something to keep the hands busy in times of doubt.
- A grounding force: something to tell you where you are, where you’ve been & to remember the ground beneath your feet. Possibilities include guardian angels, good fairies, wise animal companions. For the inconspicuous, a mere journal will do.
- A knife, matches, a thermos of water, a compass. Practical items that can double symbolically in case you need to pray to the 4 directions.
- A dram of your strongest intoxicant in a small green apothecary’s bottle. In case things go horrible wrong & you need a moment of oblivion.
- A luxury or two that allows you to enjoys your skin & thrill at the new places you’re taking it. Like broken-in Chucks, a silver ring, a bottle of wine, unfiltered cigarettes.
- The intent to experience as much as you can.
- A pure heart.